City Council Synopsis 20150423
Consideration of Items for Consent Agenda
Mayor Buelterman called the consent agenda to order at 6:30PM on April 23, 2015. Those present were Paul Wolff, Monty Parks, Rob Callahan, Wanda Doyle, Barry Brown and Bill Garbett. Also attending were Diane Schleicher, City Manager; Bubba Hughes, City Attorney; Tommy Branch, Callaway, Braun, Riddle and Hughes, PC; and Janet LeViner, Clerk of Council.
Mayor Buelterman listed the following items on the consent agenda:
· City Council Minutes, April 9, 2015
· Special City Council Meeting, April 16, 2015
· Add Liquor Sale by the drink for consumption on premises only. Current license #01989 Retain Beer/Wine-Sale by drink for Consumption on Premises and Sunday Sales and Entertainment, Gerald’s
· Special Event Consideration, Christine: April 27 – May 1: 2nd Avenue area (May 4 is the rain date if necessary); Yes But Film Corp
· Special Event Consideration, Tybee Floatilla: June 14 at 12:30PM, July12 at 11:30AM, August 9 at 10:00AM and September 13 at 3:00PM; Alley III, Stafford Promotions
· Request City Council’s approval by resolution to amend both the FY16 Capital Grant Project Fund 340 from $6,800,000 to $5,800,000. The purpose of this agenda item is to request the City Council’s approval by resolution to amend and decrease the Fiscal Year 2015-2016 Capital Grant Project Fund 340 by $1,000,000 from $6,800,000 to $5,800,000. The original budget for the fund was $6,800,000 comprising of $1,000,000 transfers in from the General Fund and $5,800,000 from State of Georgia Bond proceeds.
· Request for City of Tybee Island to execute the Coastal Regional Metropolitan Planning Organization (CORE) Memorandum of Understanding including CORE By-laws, Reapportionment and FY 16 Dues Table – Tybee’s annual dues $3,189
· Jones Avenue Paving and Cross-walks; Consideration of amending project cost (change order) for R. B. Baker Construction ($156,153.35 for paving and three stamped pedestrian cross-walks and appropriate signage at 4th, 8th and 15th Street intersections) to upgrade the paving mix to a higher grade and to add a tack coat(s). Staff recommends Alternative B. Cost of either alternative is within budget cost for project of $178,000
· Draft Letter for City Council Approval to the GDNR to authorize Burke’s Beach Rental to use their company vehicle to transport beach rental equipment onto the beach one time during the spring and to remove said beach rental equipment one time in the fall. Also, authorization would be granted with advance notice to drive on the beach with a company vehicle to remove beach equipment during a declared storm emergency. The vehicle driving authorization would be limited to driving only in the wet portion of the beach from the nearest vehicle access point to approved rental locations and contingent on Burke’s Beach Rental obtaining authorization through a GDNR Letter of Permission/Authorization
· Disclosure – City Manager’s Waiver of Nepotism Prohibition – Ocean Rescue Division
· Resolution declaring “Livin on Tybee Time” by Roy Swindell the Tybee official song.
Mayor Buelterman called the regular meeting to order at 7:00PM. All those present for the consent agenda were present.
Georgia Cities Week
· Mayor pro tem Doyle
Call to Order
· Tybee Island Youth Council
a) Opening Ceremonies
1. Call to Order – President David Rimes
2. Posting of the Colors
3. Pledge of Allegiance
4. Invocation – Vice President Azure Duree
b) Announcements – Zarna Pratul Desai
c) Progress Report – Secretary Ava McNally
d) Presentation of Project
1. Mayor Jason Buelterman
2. Karen Jenkins, Savannah Tree Foundation
3. Joe Wilson, DPW
1. Kurt Clark
2. Kylie Kline
3. Janiya Bowers
4. MiKaree Stafford
5. Joe Webster
f) Vote on project – President Rimes
g) Georgia Cities “If I Were Mayor” Essay Contest – Presenter Jessica Turberville
h) Georgia Cities Art Contest – Presenter Drake Hughes
Call to Order - Mayor Buelterman
Recognitions and Proclamations
Swearing-in Tybee Island Youth Council, Zarna Pratul Desai
Proclamation, Bike to Work Week, May 11 – 15, 2015. Paul Wolff made a motion to approve. Rob Callahan seconded. Vote was unanimous 6-0.
Proclamation, National Bike Month, May 2015. Paul Wolff made a motion to approve. Wanda Doyle seconded. Vote was unanimous, 6-0.
Tybee Island Volunteer Recognition, Councilman Monty Parks
Paul Wolff made a motion to approve the consent agenda. Rob Callahan seconded. Vote was unanimous, 6-0.
Consideration of Ordinances, Resolutions
Second Reading, 7A-2015, Sec. 3-080. Off-street parking requirements. Wand Doyle made a motion to approve. Bill Garbett seconded. Vote was unanimous, 6-0.
Second Reading, 9-2015, 6-080, Commercial signs. Wanda Doyle made a motion to approve. Bill Garbett seconded. Voting in favor were Paul Wolff, Monty Parks, Wanda Doyle, Barry Brown and Bill Garbett. Voting against was Rob Callahan. Motion carried 5-1.
First Reading, 14-2015, Sec 42-4, Bag Ordinance. Paul Wolff made a motion to approve. Bill Garbett seconded. Voting in favor were Paul Wolff, Monty Parks, Rob Callahan, and Bill Garbett. Voting against were Wanda Doyle and Barry Brown. Motion carried 4-2.
Council, Officials and City Attorney Considerations and Comments
Wanda Doyle, Plastic Recycling. No action taken
Paul Wolff made a motion to adjourn. Rob Callahan seconded. Vote was unanimous, 6-0. made a motion to adjourn.
Meeting adjourned at 8:15PM