City Council Synopsis 20150326
Consideration of Items for Consent Agenda
Mayor Buelterman called the consent agenda to order at 6:30PM on March 26, 2015. Those present were Paul Wolff, Monty Parks, Rob Callahan, Wanda Doyle, Barry Brown and Bill Garbett. Also attending were Diane Schleicher, City Manager; Bubba Hughes, City Attorney; Tommy Branch, Callaway, Braun, Riddle and Hughes, PC; and Janet LeViner, Clerk of Council.
Mayor Buelterman listed the following items on the consent agenda:
· Georgia Cities Week
· March 12, 2015 City Council Meeting
· Special Event Consideration: Labor Day Beach Bash 2015 (September 6): 7:00 – 11:00PM; Walter W. Parker Pier & Pavilion, Visit Tybee
· Special Event Consideration: Tybee Beach Bum Parade (May 15): 6:30PM: North Beach parking lot – Meddin – Van Horne – Butler – Tybrisa, Tybee Beach Bums
· Special Event Consideration: Coastal Arts Festival (September 26): 10:00AM – 6:00PM; Memorial Park, Tybee Arts Association
· Special Event Consideration: EVP Beach Bum Open Volleyball Tournament (May 9): 8:00AM – 6:00PM; beach area south side of Walter W. Parker Pier & Pavilion; EVP Tour Sports Endeavors
· Special Event Consideration: Healthy Kids Day and Bicycle Rodeo (May 9): 12:00 – 4:00PM; Memorial Park, Old School parking lot, Cafeteria, Bike Parade (Lovell – 2nd – 5th – Streets); Tybee Island YMCA and Recreation Department
· Special Event Consideration: 5th Annual Coastal Empire Beach Festival (September 12): 9:00AM – 4:00PM: beach area south side of the Walter W. Parker Pier & Pavilion and a portion of the 16th Street/Strand parking lot; Surfers for Autism
· Special Event Consideration: New Year’s Eve Fireworks (December 31 @ midnight); Walter W. Parker Pier & Pavilion; Visit Tybee
· US Marine Corp – MARSOC Agreement
· Budget amendment for the General Fund for $27,491 to re-allocate money from the Human Resources Department
· Re-allocation $2,102 among departments in the Water and Sewer Fund
· Out of State Travel, Angela Hudson and a staff member to travel to Madison Wisconsin to attend a seminar on “Developing and Implementing Effective Municipal Capital Improvement Plans”
· Approval for an $11,211 budget amendment and a grade change that will result in a salary increase of $1,567 for the rest of the year. Transferring the Facilities Coordinator position from the Public Works Department to the Finance Department
· GEFA Deep Well Project: Updated Well Protection Permit Requested Letter from City of Tybee Island. Infrastructure Committee recommended to city council 3-0.
· Jones Avenue Waterline. Thomas and Hutton request for additional engineering funding due to the extended construction time line; therefore additional required engineering oversight of water line project. This is an increase of $5,000 in water line oversight
· WWTP Sludge Digester Recommended Bidder: BRW Construction Company is lowest responsible bidder at $1,049,449. Project is over initial budgeted estimate of $777,000 due to recommended upgrades to specifications to increase longevity of digester.
Mayor Buelterman called the regular meeting to order at 7:00PM. All those present for the consent agenda were present.
· Call to Order
· Posting of the Colors
· Pledge of Allegiance
· Invocation – Jessica Tuberville, Tybee Island Youth Council
Report of Staff, Boards, Standing Committees and/or Invited Guests
· Tybee Island Youth Council
· Jim Kluttz, Tybee Island Post Theater Update
· Andrew Morris, GEFA Well Project
· Sara Lane, Visit Tybee
Citizens to Be Heard: Please limit comments to 3 minutes. Maximum Allowable time is 5 minutes.
· Pam O’Brien, Bid Request for North Beach Public Amusements
· Frank Hardeman, The Hardeman Company – Was not present
· Vicky Worden, Tybee Pool
· Tim Arnold, Smoking on the Beach
· Dave Cornelius, North Beach Amusement
· Renee DeRossett, Smoking and Littering on the Beach
· Doug Grunwald, North Beach Erosion
· Sue Bentley, Historic District
· Sara Jones, Historic District
Consideration of Bids, Contracts, Agreements and Expenditures
North Beach Amusements: Barry Brown made a motion to deny. Rob Callahan second. Vote was unanimous to deny, 6-0.
Paul Wolff made a motion to approve the consent agenda. Wanda Doyle seconded. Vote was unanimous, 6-0.
Annual Review of Private Parking Business
o Sunrise Parking
o Ocean Plaza Beach Resort
Wanda Doyle made a motion to approve. Barry Brown seconded. Vote was unanimous to approve, 6-0.
Annual Review of Private Parking Business
o Renee G. Bridges
o Bramble Family
o Joyce Prescott
o Jack Rosenberg
Paul Wolff made a motion to approve and extend operation from Memorial Day to include Labor Day weekend. Rob Callahan seconded. Voting in favor were Paul Wolff, Monty Parks, Rob Callahan, Wanda Doyle and Bill Garbett. Voting against was Barry Brown. Vote was 5-1 to approve.
Consideration of Ordinances, Resolutions
First and Second Reading, 11-2015, Sec 2-36; Compensation of mayor and council members. Rob Callahan made a motion to approve. Bill Garbett seconded. Voting in favor were Paul Wolff, Monty Parks, Rob Callahan, Wanda Doyle and Bill Garbett. Vote against was Barry Brown. Vote was 5-1 to approve both first and second reading.
First Reading, 12-2015; Sec 12-1(c), Enforcement of rules and regulations. Wanda Doyle made a motion to approve. Monty Parks seconded. Vote was unanimous, 6-0.
First Reading, 13-2015; Sec 12-1(a)(19), Use of municipal beaches and facilities. Rob Callahan made a motion to approve. Bill Garbett seconded. Voting in favor were Rob Callahan and Bill Garbett. Voting against were Paul Wolff, Monty Parks, Wanda Doyle and Barry Brown. Motion failed 2-4.
Council, Officials and City Attorney Considerations and Comments
· Truck Traffic on north-end of Island
· Placement of American Flag at entrance to Tybee Island
· Request city attorney to prepare items to create local historic districts as recommended by the Historic Preservation Commission. Paul Wolff made a motion to have the city attorney move forward. Monty Parks seconded. Vote was unanimous, 6-0.
· Discussion of Litter Patrol
· Pool Update
Paul Wolff made a motion to adjourn to Executive Session to discuss personnel. Wanda Doyle seconded. Vote was unanimous, 6-0.
Paul Wolff made a motion to return to regular session. Rob Callahan seconded. Vote was unanimous, 6-0.
Paul Wolff made a motion to adjourn. Rob Callahan seconded. Vote was unanimous, 6-0.
Meeting adjourned at 10:40PM.